IACS CONFERENCE 2017 (Updated: 2017.2.4)
IACS CONFERENCE 2017
For more information (new): About | Call for Paper | Registration | Program | Venues
Dear all participants accepted for 2017 IACS Conference in Seoul,
We truly appreciate your kind understanding and patience. The payment portal is now in full working order.
JULY 28-30, 2017
Sungkonghoe University, Seoul, South Korea
Organizers: Inter-Asia Cultural Studies Society (IACSS), Institution for East Asian Studies (IEAS) at Sungkonghoe University, Korean Association of Cultural Studies, Trans Asia Screen Culture Institute at
Korean National University of Arts
Supporters: National Research Foundation of Korea
CALL FOR PAPERS
Submission Deadline: January 31, 2017
Cho Heeyeon (Superintendent, Seoul Metropolitan Office of Education)
1. THEME STATEMENT
Worlding: Asia Beyond/After Globalization
Globalization as a concept has reached an impasse exhausted of its potential to generate imagination and critique. Hence worlding, defined in various ways such as “the whole new way to globalize” and “the art of being global”. In worlding, we are invited to re-imagine globalization in a new light unaffected by the dominant discourses of state and business. Unlike globalization, worlding is neither a fatalistic structural force nor the triumphant sweep of neoliberal capitalism. It is practice of world-making, a pursuit of an alternative globalization (or globalizations).
The Inter-Asia cultural studies scholarship has been an effort to engage in cultural and intellectual construction of Asia. What Asia has been made during this initial phase? What Asia should be made in the future? With the theme of worlding, the 2017 conference hopes to re-examine the efforts thrown thus far and to appreciate emerging trans-bordering forms in Asia outside or in the gaps and cracks in the neoliberal hegemon. The term should open up new research areas and agendas of inter-Asia cultural studies.
- Reconstructing Asian experiences and memories as common properties: The Legacy of Bandung, Third-Worldism, Afro-Asia and South-South exchange
- Subjects in Crisis: New Middle Class and Precariat in Asia
- Regression/Retreat in Culture of Democracy: Anti-Politics, Nepotism and Hate Speech
- Pop Asianism: Hyphenated Pop and Crossbordering Television Show Formats
- New Media: Social Network Services and Technologies of Intimacy
- Cinema: Film Studies as Asia Studies
- Alternative Economy: Commons, Co-ops, Social Enterprises
- New Urbanities: Urban Regeneration, Tourism and Artivism
- Youth: Youth Activism/Inactivism and Radical Communalism
- Disaster and Eco-Politics in Asia
- Queering Asia: Geopolitics of Queer Studies
- Migration and Multiculturalism: The Rise of Home and De-natioalization
- Engaging/Disengaging China
- Questioning North Korea
3. PROPOSAL GUIDELINES
We welcome panel proposals of 3-4 papers based on the general theme and other important topics in inter-Asia cultural studies today.
The Conference prefers trans-local panel proposals and discourages single-university or single-country panels. Priority will be given to panel proposal, rather than individual proposal.
While we prefer panel proposals, we will be accepting individual paper proposals, on condition that author(s) would accept our decision on the organisation of relevant papers into panels and the right to reorganize panels due to withdrawals and other contingencies.
Please submit your paper proposal using our online form below. Proposals will be accepted only through the online submission system on the conference website.
4. IMPORTANT DATES
- Submission deadline: Jan 31, 2017
- Announcement of acceptance: March 1, 2017
- Registration: March 1 – April 30, 2017 (Early-bird), May 1 – July 10, 2017 (Regular)
- Conference: July 28-30, 2017
5. REGISTRATION FEES
The price includes: conference book, refreshements, lunches, welcoming banquet
- Tier 1 (OECD Countries, EU, Gulf Corporation, HK, Macau, Singapore): USD 300
- Tier 2 (China, India, Indonesia, Iran, Malaysia, Philippines, Thailand, Taiwan, Russia, etc.): USD 225
- Tier 3: Students and Independent scholars: USD 120
* Member receives discount of USD 25.
* Early-bird registrant receives discount of USD 25.
* Member and early-bird registrant receives discount of USD 50.